Do you want your parents and friends to meet your little one as soon as possible but has the least knowledge about how soon can a newborn travel long distance by car?
Traveling with an infant may be stressful (either you love to do it or need to have it). However, with the appropriate safety guidelines, you can manage traveling with a newborn by car.
In this article, we will discuss the essential safety tips (for road and plane trips), infant car seats you can use, and newborn car seat time limit.
How Soon Can You Travel With a Newborn?
There is no definite age and time limit for the newborns to travel. However, some safety standards and recommendations are there:
“When your newborn has grown to 2-3 months old (the safest age limit) or when their immune system has developed properly (at the age of 6 months in the majority of children)”
Parents are allowed to travel with newborns as soon as they need it. The reason is that:
- Every parent has different circumstances to face (sometimes you cannot avoid traveling instead of anything you do to avoid it)
- Every child is different (some have developed a very strong immune system very soon while others don’t)
How Soon Can a Newborn Travel Long Distance by Car?
Newborns have very fragile body which is still under a lot of developmental processes. For example, there spine has not yet developed properly. So it is very necessary for the parents to know “how soon can a newborn travel long distance by car”.
How Soon Can a Newborn Travel Long Distance by Car?
- A 6 months old infant who has longer periods of peaceful wakefulness is rather easy to travel in the car
- A child who is certified “healthy and active” by the doctors can travel in the car even sooner i.e. at the age of 1 month
For the newborns to take to a longer ride, it is essential to put them in an appropriate infant car seat that suits best to their age and weight.
Newborn car seat time limit – For the Unpredictable Human Version!
The answer to “how soon can a newborn travel long distance by car and their maximum car seat limit” would disappoint you, but this is true in their case.
Babies don’t like to keep them confined in a place or in car seats (only if they are not sleeping 😜)
According to the car seat manufacturers:
“A newborn can sit in an infant car seat for a maximum time of 2- hours/day”
Again, this is not a standard time limit. The effort to extend this time limit from your side could be to keep them entertained and confined at the same time without compromising their safety.
How Soon Can Newborns Fly? Arrange smart Reservations!
Sometimes, you cannot avoid traveling no matter how much you disagree with taking newborn out before 6 weeks ☹
Mindful Tips for air travel with infants:
In such obvious situations, you must be best informed about the essential things you should keep in mind.
- Some airlines have minimum age requirements i.e. 2 days-2 weeks old, while others allow 4-6 weeks old babies to travel by plane.
That’s why it is better to make sure that the airline you are selecting will allow your infant to travel or not.
- Pre-booking is very important with infants to make sure you have a seat in the corner (you are not stuck in the middle!) to have a peaceful journey.
- You need to have your baby’s passport and documentation with you when traveling internationally.
- Be aware of your infant’s routine in mind. Their sleep time, eating habits, and tantrums too!
- Keep all their essential things with you but never over-pack anything.
Note: over-stuffing will make even easier things harder for you.
When is it Safe to Travel with a Newborn? Safety is the Priority
There are certain recommendations by the Child Safety Experts and Pediatrics regarding when is it safe to travel with a newborn and how soon can a newborn travel long distance by car.
We will discuss them all one by one:
- When the immune system of the newborn has been developed fully i.e. at the age of 1 month
The babies who are born at full-term have their immune system developed fully (developed enough to afford general germs attacks like cold, flu, allergy, etc.) at this age and not the premature babies.
- Premature babies have a lower-oxygen rate than full-term ones. So it is better to wait until they’ve grown to 2-3 months old.
- The safest age limit for a normal infant to travel is 6 months (for a risk-free journey with your infant)
The longer you will wait for your newborn to travel the less will be the chances of getting them sick.
Tips for Traveling with Infants – for A Peaceful Journey!
Whether you travel for an hour or two with your newborn but the after-effects may last for weeks!
Babies get disturbed when they are treated out of their normal routine (it’s natural☺). To avoid any big inconvenience, you should know the things that could make your journey smoother.
Some useful and essential points that a parent must know before traveling with the newborn are listed below:
Diaper Bags and Sanitary Items – 1 hour travel=1 Diaper:
One diaper for one hour of travel is a general rule. However, you must have at least 2 spare pieces for 1-hour travel.
Some other things that your backpack should contain are:
- Sanitary pads or wipes are the other essential things you should have in your diaper bag.
- Bibs and burp cloths that are extremely absorbent will be the things that you’ll use the most during the whole journey
Note: these items will keep your baby’s clothes clean and you will have to change only the bib after every meal instead of their entire outfit!
- Don’t forget to take tissues, a portable changing bag, and diaper cream when you are traveling by air.
Infant Car Seat and Stroller:
An infant car seat and a lightweight stroller that is compatible with the car seat are the simplest answer to how soon can a newborn travel long distance by car.
Because these are the essentials that will make your journey even easier and simpler.
- By putting your child in a car seat, you will not have to worry about their moves (the harness system of car seats is very good and secured)
- You can feed them easily while in car seat
- Strollers for infants are a blessing for the moms who need to travel every now and then. They will carry your child safely.
Feeding Items and Equipment:
To make your journey smooth with your newborn, it is important to have a lot of options in their feeds and equipment’s (to make feeding process easier) like:
- Liquid medication
- Fresh juices
- Snack catcher cup
- Feeder holder
When can you take a newborn out?
You can take your newborn out after 2 weeks of birth if following the precautions properly. Otherwise, it is better to wait at least for 3 or 6 months.
What is the best car seat for long distance driving?
The best 5 infant car seats for long-distance driving are Graco 4Ever 4-in-1, Evenflo Lightweight Convertible Car Seat, Cosco Apt 50 Convertible Car Seat For Long drive, Evenflo Tribute LX Car Seat for Air Travel, and Nuna Rava convertible car seat.
When is it safe to take newborn out?
When their immune system has developed fully or at the age of 3-6 months is the safest standard to take a newborn out.
Is it safe taking newborn out before 6 weeks?
Yes, you can take out your infant before 6 weeks if following the precautions recommended by the pediatrics.
Which is the best car seat for travelling abroad?
There are several infant-friendly car seats to travel abroad with newborns, however, Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat and Doona Infant Car Seat are considered best among all.
How early can newborns fly?
According to the experts, infants who have fully developed their immune system or babies of 3-6 months old can be taken out with the recommended safety precautions.